Monday, July 5, 2010

Answering the Call

Ring Ring!
Me: Hello?
Hi Jackie, this is your official calling to do campus ministry next year on Edge Corps with the Navigators.
Me: Click.

Yeah, that's basically how it went in real life when my mentor suggested that I join Edge Corps back in November. I wasn't sure what I was going to do but I KNEW that I wasn't going to be staying in Columbia and I KNEW that college ministry wasn't where my heart was. I had previously worked with kids for two and a half years and thought that if I was going to pursue ministry, it would be with youth.

However, God has a funny way of directing our steps and after months of searching, prayer, and uncertainty, I knew that Edge Corps was "in the cards" for lack of a better phrase. I found out more about Edge Corps, which is a Navigators ministry that is passionate about sharing the truth of Jesus with college students. My excitement was fueled by the fact that I fell into the University of Missouri's Navigator ministry my senior year, and was able to receive amazing teaching, discipleship and fellowship that helped me in my understanding of God and deepened my relationship with the Lord. Edge Corps was an amazing opportunity to serve the ministry that has done so much for me. Perhaps God will work through me to reach women like me, who were struggling with their faith, and allow my testimony to speak to the transforming power of God.

Currently, I am in transit between Kansas City and Columbia, MO raising a team of supporters who will financially partner with me so that I am able to report to Mizzou's campus in August. The process is not comfortable, nor is it easy. However, I can already see that meeting with people face to face gives me a chance to share in other people's lives in a way that I love doing. Also, it allows me to share my passion for the gospel and has been an "excuse" in some cases to present the truth of Romans 6:26, "For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord." Amazing. Unbelievable. Powerful. Truth.

The past few days have been emotionally hard on me. I spent the last month in a half traveling: Seattle, California, New Mexico, Colorado, Illinois and have had a fair share of ups and downs along the way. Please pray that God restores my focus and that the emotional scars that have been afflicted will be healed by the power of the cross. Also pray for my diligence and capacity to work hard despite feeling like my labor is fruitless at times.

If you are interested in joining my support team (prayer or financial), feel free to contact me via e-mail: jedy96@gmail.com and I will give you more information. At Edge Corps we joked that since, "God loves a cheerful giver," (2 Corinthians 9:7), we were looking for "HILARIOUS givers." Indeed, I trust for God to provide and I'm sure the means by which this will happen will be surprising, maybe even hilarious.

Blessings, grace, and peace be to you, friend.




No comments:

Post a Comment