Sunday, November 14, 2010

How to not cook a yucca


My boyfriend is trying his best to cook a yucca, yet he is unsuccessful in his attempt. I feel kind of bad for him in that regards, as he's taken quite a bit of time peeling off the thick skin, chopping it up, boiling it, adding a touch of salt, etc.

Who am I kidding right now? All Dan had to do for real was boil the sucker and he messed up. Epic fail, yucca style.

This yucca story loosely parallels 1 Peter (a stretch, but stay with me), which is what Dan and I are studying together. 1 Peter 1: 13-16 gives us a series of commands, which include:
1. Setting your hope on the grace of Jesus Christ
2. Not conforming to evil desires
3. Being holy

Seriously, we have a set of instructions that shouldn't be that hard to do. Similarly, Dan had a simple set of cooking directions that should not have been that difficult. However, add our sinful nature and we run into difficulties. Suddenly, "Be holy" becomes quite the hurdle because of our fleshly desires. We want to be holy, but we also want to give in to our struggles, or compromise just a little bit. Or, we'll even try making a step by step approach to how we can "be holy," which includes a long list of dos and don'ts that we can't possibly adhere to. We put a yoke on ourselves that the Lord never intended for us to have!

Dan thought he was following the directions, and technically he was "on the right path" but he ended up overcooking the yucca. He tried adding butter, pepper, and garlic for flavor, but to no avail. It was mushy and he wasn't even able to fry it like he intended. Sometimes I think that I "overcook" or try too hard being obedient to the Lord. I'm too hard on myself and put all sorts of red tape on my relationship with God that shouldn't have to be there. I should strive to follow the recipe in its simplicity. 1 Peter 1: 14, "As obedient children, do not conform to the evil desires you had when you lived in ignorance." We don't need to add any extra ingredients. Keep it simply. The Lord says, "Be holy for I am holy."



1 comment:

  1. Like.

    I'm a fan of the parallel... even though I don't know what a yucca is :)

    ReplyDelete